Wednesday 2 May 2018

Rural Scrawl - Fogou Scenery Set (Part 1)

If you follow the blogs of Asslessman (Leadplague) or Curis (Ninjabread), you may have seen a few blogposts recently with some forthcoming terrain courtesy of the fabulous Fogou Models. The terrain is part of a new set from Fogou, with a Kickstarter due to go live in the next few weeks (I think the 22nd of May). The set comprises some lovely ruined buildings and walls, with loads of accessories.

I've been lucky enough to get an advance set to paint up and have been feverishly trying to finish the set over the last few weeks.

Any derelict building is the target of spray-can wielding perps!
The complete Kickstarter set includes an impressive number of individual pieces, all beautifully sculpted and cast in robust resin in Fogou's signature style. You can see below that the full set includes a larger ruined building, wall sections, rubble, barricades, 1st floor platforms for the buildings and other miscellaneous scatter terrain.


I wanted to paint up my set to match my existing terrain which has an arid / desert sort of colour scheme, so I sprayed all of the stone structures with GW's Zandri Dust spray over a grey undercoat. I liberally drybrushed everything with a bone colour and picked out a few of the individual stones with some washes. Because of the excellent texture on the resin casts, this was both quick and pretty effective.

The two large sections of the ruined building. Wooden platforms are provided to allow multi-level functionality.

At this point I had a perfectly acceptable set of stonework, but I wanted to avoid the risk of the set looking too historical. Adding some graffiti to some of the walls seemed like a good way to firmly root the set into a modern or sci-fi setting. Finally I added some weather staining with a large drybrush and some black paint.


I did restrain myself from adding graffiti to every side of the ruined building, just in case I ever need a neutral backdrop for scenic photos.


I did add a few tags to one of the straight wall sections!

Corner sections.

T-sections and some retaining wall barricades.

As well as the walls themselves, the set includes a great selection of scatter terrain, including oil drum barricades and rubble. The drums are provided both individually as well as sections of multiple drums, meaning there is a lot of flexibility in how they can be placed.

A great selection of rubble-filled oil drums and barrels.

There are some nice piles of rubble included, along with some lovely little pots and my particular favourites, the ammo boxes.

I added a few random patterns to the pots for visual interest.

While I was daubing on graffiti, Curis pointed out to me that the perp known as 'Scrawler' from Citadel's old Judge Dredd range would be the perfect addition to the set. Happily I had Scrawler unpainted in one of my boxes, so I decided to paint him up to complement the set.



I painted Scrawler in a similar colour scheme to my punky mutie, 'Johnny Noggin'. I figured that the two of them would make a nice pair, probably with shared interests and music taste!


In Part 2 I'll take a look at how the Fogou set could be used in retro-gaming!

26 comments:

  1. That's another kickstarter that I'll have to watch out for.

    Well painted, and nice to see some subtle touches that make the terrain work for a sci-fi setting as well.

    I just won a resin out-house in a competition, and it feels good to finally have a piece of terrain that didn't come out of the recycling bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much worth keeping an eye out I think.

      I'm glad the graffiti worked as a modernising device. I didn't want to physically add elements, so it was an experimental approach!

      What plans do you have for the out house?

      Delete
    2. I was planning to base it on a cd, surround it with some crates and barrels as scatter and leave it at that.

      But then my wife suggested that I base it on its own and make it stand out more, so it's basically on a piece of epvc waiting to be textured and painted.

      I think the paint-job needs to be something different to make it work, so maybe some graffiti inspired by your example would do the trick?

      Delete
    3. I'm yet to do any scenic bases on any of my terrain. It does look really nice, but the downside is that it can sometimes clash with the mat or table colour.

      I've found that strong blocks of colour and patterns (painted walls or the graffiti for example) really help stuff stand out. I'd definitely look at something like that.

      Delete
  2. Good looking models, well painted!

    I like how both you and JB modernized the walls, but in totally different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, JB got in first with his cool metal platforms. I was tempted to imitate them I have to confess.

      Delete
  3. I love the colours and tones you used here, they are particularly natural. But oh, you know you need a space punk being arrested by space marines!! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I have forgotten the Space Punk?! I need to get converting :D

      Delete
  4. These will make a sweet addition to your home-brew setting mate. The graffiti is very convincingly done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! Glad you like them. I have a junk town as the next terrain project... :D

      Delete
  5. Love the graffiti! The perp was a nice choice to tie it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Sometimes you just have to paint the figure so that the scene makes sense!

      Delete
  6. That's a really nice selection of scatter terrain. i'll have to watch for this kickstarter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the terrain should be useful for a wide range of settings, as well as being very flexible.

      Delete
  7. Cracking job on the set. I really like you attention to detail of painting the two types of barrels in different ways. I made the mistake of "rusting" up the first tapered barrel I painted until JB mentioned they polyethylene and therefore immune to rust. Oops.

    Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curis. It's not every hobby day that has a use for a background in industrial chemical storage, but in this instance my employment history came in handy!

      Delete
  8. Lovely stuff - bags of character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conrad! Glad you like them :)

      Delete
  9. Very nice--good work on the graffiti, it works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The graffiti was worth the time investment I think.

      Delete
  10. I really like what you did with it. It's also fun to see ideas you wish you'd thought about when someone paints the same model. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I'm continually anxious about that kind of stuff, but you can only implement so many ideas on one project.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic work on both the terrain and figures! Did you use real-life references for the graffiti style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took some photos of graffiti from a variety of sources - some online, some from the canals in Birmingham (where I sometimes go for work). Some were made up too!

      Delete
  12. Beyond scratching my initials into things occasionally, I know essentially nothing about graffiti and its application. I'm really impressed with how convincingly you made it look in this case.

    Fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't claim any background in graffiti techniques either cheetor - just a bit of observation and winging it! Glad I pulled it off!

      Delete