Thursday, 6 August 2015

Enter House Ulanti

Earlier, I took the opportunity to take some better photos of my winning entry into the BOYL 15 painting competition from the weekend.

I've showcased all the figures previously - they comprise Lord Greiss, Lady Greiss, bodyuard Eduardo Murat, Professor Barossus and Lope, the household huntsman. Although the models were linked through a common colour scheme, I wanted to tie them together with a display base. I decided on a very simple narrative of Lord and Lady Greiss leaving a doorway, accompanied by retainers.

Enter House Ulanti.


I wanted the base to frame the models, rather than distract from them. To that end, I added an archway behind the figures and a small half-buried barrel as a counterpoint in the foreground. Other than that, it was pretty much a case of adding texture and some patches of grass and flowers.


The display base was made from a cheap oval plinth I bought from ebay. For the textured element, I used an oval MDF movement tray. I sawed a sci-fi barrel in half, then textured the whole base with sand.


The doorway was made from a cheap arch from a construction kit called Bayko. I added a lintel to the top, and a small entry keypad which was nabbed from the RTB01 plastic Space Marine kit.


To give a hint of the sense of an interior behind the archway, I cut a piece of plasticard to shape and scored the outline of chequered tiles.

The base minus the figures.

RTB01 keypad and some pretty flower tufts.

The 'interior', made from scored plasticard.

Overall, I think it does its job pretty nicely - reinforcing the link between the figures and making them stand out as a nice group.

*    *    *    *    *


I was away in a hotel for a couple of nights with work earlier in the week. Once again I took paints and a figure to try and make good use of the time. This time I painted up another figure for my Inquisitorial warband, a rather humourless chap named Advard Munk. As a character, Advard, armed with a multi-laser, has been playing in my Inquisimunda campaign for a few weeks, having been represented by a stand-in.


He's made from an Eldar Harlequin Death Jester, with the gun barrel from an Epic-scale Warhound scout titan, and the head from a Marauder Empire champion. I appear to have inadvertently made some sort of flamboyant space-Quaker as a result!


Hopefully Advard will be reaping some kills in due course.

22 comments:

  1. Flamboyant Space-Quaker is my prog band name.

    Great work on these figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advard is great - a really interesting mix of pieces I'd never have thought of.

    I've never made a display base for any of my minis before, but seeing yours gives me a thought to try my hand at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Odie. I've only made a couple of display bases before, primarily for my Blood Bowl teams. I don't think they necessarily need to be complicated, and using pre-cut movement trays makes it really simple!

      Delete
  3. Having seen it at BOYL your display piece is even more impressive in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say riot ville :)

      Delete
  4. A superb pastel colour scheme ... my favourite kind. Well executed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually favour bold and brash, but delicate pastels sometimes appear ;)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful display. Simple but elegant. And once again your conversion work is wonderful. I could have never imagined that combination for Advard! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! To be honest, it's largely down to having a big box of figures to root through :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on the display base and Space Quaker.

    W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They've been fun to paint :)

      Delete
  7. That Death Jester conversion is great Axiom! You really nailed the head choice too. I reckon trying to convert an elf/eldar into a human is quite difficult...proportion wise.

    Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The death jester isn't quite as slight as normal Eldar, so I think that helps with this one I think!

      Delete
  8. Lovely work. Really like the Death Jester Conversion. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Flamboyant Space Quaker (the miniature, not the band) is a very well conceived conversion, it really looks the part.

    The display base is lovely. I have never made a display base in my almost thirty years of toy soldiery. I don't know if I ever will either, even though yours looks fab. I'm not sure that it's a road that I want to go down, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Munk really came from a paucity of RT human figures with heavy weapons. I eliminated the idea of using a chainsaw warrior figure as he was too chunky. The death jester was pretty much the only alternative!

      I think the odd display base is fine, but I certainly don't want dozens for each sub-set of the collection ;)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful colour scheme and a fantastic base/display. Seeing bases such as yours is a frequent reminder to myself to start painting proper bases. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh ... I couldn't resist another comment. I like that base.

      Delete
    2. Another comment to my 6th August one that is ... oh my ... I'm so long winded. XD

      Delete