Tuesday 12 May 2015

Alone and Paranoid

I've tried to maximise some hobby time over the past 6 days. The first opportunity was up in Glasgow where I was working for 3 days at the end of last week. As I was occupying the hotel all by my lonesome, I decided to make the most of it and get in some quality painting time. Two evenings work netted me the following:
 

Not too shabby for a limited selection of paints and (towards the end of the evenings) some pretty poor light!

I'm in desperate need of some scatter terrain, so one of the tasks I had set myself was to paint up a few pieces - a trio of resin barrels (I'm not sure who made these) and a pair of resin junk piles / barricades from Ainsty Castings. Both were treated in similar fashion - I gave them a base coat (green for the barrels and a couple of the boxes, metal for the rest of the barricade). I then used a piece of blister pack foam to liberally dab on first brown then a light orange. The barrels got a very light flick of metal in a few areas, and I painted the rolled tarpaulin, sandbag and gas bottle on the barricades. Overally I'm pretty pleased with the results - minimal effort and a very acceptable effect.


Next up was the Scientist figure from Citadel's Talisman range. I kept his paint scheme very simple, using the same colours I'd used on Tech Priest Zon a few weeks back.


The only real addition is the bright blue of his folder.


Side by side, the scientist and tech priest make a pretty good pair, although the scientist suffers from the exagerated head and hands, common to most of the Talisman figures.


Finally, I painted up the model I'm contributing to the Oldhammer Legacy Warband 2015. The principle is that participants contribute and paint a figure, meeting a common theme. One of the contributors wins the lot at the end of the project. This year, the theme is Space Pirates in homage to the old Rogue Trader range. My contribution is converted from a fantasy half-orc with the addition of a back-pack, autogun and newly sculpted hands:


The bases are being left blank to allow the winner to texture as per their preference.



But that's not all I've painted over the last week! Last night I managed to break out the paints again, and on sheer whim I pulled out this guy:


The figure is Jonk-r-ter from Citadel's relatively short-lived Paranoia range. Like the Talisman scientist above, he too has rather cartoony over-sized hands and head, but his facial expression is just a delight! I'll be using him as an ammo trader along with other civilians for the Rogue Trader setting.


In due course he'll be getting a little table of wares to display too!

15 comments:

  1. The face on that ammo seller is splendid and the week old shave adds a bonus to his depressing face. he reminds me of Nicolas Cage (probably the haircut or the lord of war movie).
    I just can't beleive you managed to paint in the hotel with such a poor comfort and lighting ! That's quite a feat !
    The Legacy entry is splendid and I cannot wait toi finish mine to add it to the others !

    Great productive week Jon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without wanting to sound cliched, the face painted itself...it's so characterful because of the slightly cartoony look. He was fun to paint :)

      Delete
  2. Great additions. Things like the proportions do look a bit peculiar when the figures are side by side, but if those scientists are spread around doing science-y things on the table then nobody will even notice.

    Good stuff Jon, your steady output this year is great to see. Are you keeping a running total? It must be healthy, personal record beating perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wholly with you Paul - on a table, in and around terrain, big hands and giant heads will be barely perceptable!

      As for a running total...I do sort of have a spreadsheet on the go ;) If I take the barrels as equating to 1 figure, and the barricades as another, I've painted 35 'figures' so far this year. I managed 61 in the whole of 2014, so my current rate could well exceed it (project total would be ~97 figures). There are bound to be some slow periods - summer holidays with the kids around, Christmas, but it's a healthy rate to date I think :)

      Delete
  3. Jon your barrels are magnificent ! (bet your wife doesn't say that too often ;-))
    I shall try said technique myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say my wife's never given that precise complement ;)

      Try it - quick and easy (painting barrels I mean...)!

      Delete
  4. Nice work all around, but that ammo trader is the star I think. Great face in particular.

    I also like the blue folder, manages to capture exactly the right tone of a thick paper folder somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think he has a real hang-dog expression, I just tried to make the most of it :)

      Delete
    2. Oooh, missus, I see a LOT of Frankie Howard in that guy, so much so that I wonder if it was intended.

      https://thelondoncolumn.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/frankiehowerdcjohnclaridge.jpg

      Delete
  5. superb painting, that tech and the arms dealer both look excellent you have really brought out their character, and the half-orc pirate is a splenid conversion indeed.

    well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much - glad you like them :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely stuff. The barrels look awesome, and all the minis are just lovely. Amazing stuff you got here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that the barrels (the simplest and quickest to paint) are getting so much love. Perhaps I need to paint some more ;)

      Delete
  7. I just won that Paranoia figure in an auction! I had been wondering about "John Carter" inspired figures in the early GW days, having this theory that the old Rogue Trader Dominators are inspired, in part, by the Green Martians. Nice to see the ERB influence seeping into the Citadel range elsewhere too.

    And a great job painting him. Is that patch on his backapack a NASA logo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a NASA logo!! I'm pleased you recognised it :)

      Delete